[Diabetes-Talk] Interesting news regarding my Dexcom system

Jamie Gurganus jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 00:57:18 UTC 2017

Daniel,

From my understanding, I believe you can use both the phone and the receiver at the same time. However, the phone is accessible, and that receiver is not. You will need to input The calibrations to both units, and always have both with you.  I am not sure what would happen when you get a high or low blood sugar alert that needs to be acknowledged on either the phone or receiver. I don't know if dismissing the alert on the phone would also dismiss it on the receiver and vice versa. I guess you will have to play around with that.

I am still wondering though how they will ever find out which device you are using as the receiver. When you download your blood sugars to share with your doctor, I did it by plugging my receiver into my computer. Now, I don't even have to do that. I just tell my diabetic educator that I would like her to review my blood sugars, and she can access them right from the cloud. I don't even have to use my phone.

The only reason I know that you can possibly use both devices as the receiver is from the discussion I had with my diabetic educator. I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of sleeping with my phone, and she suggested that I use both and use the receiver at night. Because the receiver isn't accessible to me, I never ended up trying that. I slept with my phone in my shorts pocket until I purchased and Apple Watch. I have my watch alarms and alerts silenced and on the highest vibration, so it vibrates my wrist to let me know I have an alert. I keep my phone in my nightstand drawer on silence and very low volume. When my watch buzzes me, I can pull out my phone and except the alert. That way, I don't bother my husband as much as when I had the phone on my nightstand. The sound of a vibrating iPhone in the middle of the night is almost like an alarm clock!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

    Jamie

Sent from my iPhone