[Diabetes-Talk] Dexcom Coverage.

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Tue Aug 22 20:45:26 UTC 2017

Hi Group,

Just an update on my dealing with Dexcom ...

I’m uncertain if this was a coincidence or if its because I spoke with my CDE this morning who in turn may have spoken with the Dexcom Rep, regarding what I’ was told about coverage of the Dexcom and use of the app, but a rep from Dexcom just called me.

It appears that they had been saying the wrong thing to me! Apparently when they have a Medicare patient who is sighted, Medicare forces that sighted person to use the receiver and they are not allowed to use the phone app. However, when there is a Medicare patient who is blind and the only way to access the Dexcom is through the app, then that is allowed.

As it stands for now, I told Dexcom to start the ball rolling and find out what if anything Medicare will cover and what might be my out-of-pocket charges. For now, I will sit and wait for them to get back to me.

I am for the time being, relieved, that the people making guide lines at Medicare aren’t as dumb as I had originally thought them to be. I am a bit concerned about the folks at Dexcom though.

Eileen