[Diabetes-Talk] Using Animas pumps

TALey at ups.com TALey at ups.com
Tue Jan 3 17:41:13 UTC 2017

Jamie,

I also use the Animas Vibe. However, I limit myself to using the audio bolus feature for administering insulin since it is the only 100% accessible manner to bolus when you cannot read the screen. I also use memorized key press sequences to take my pump on and off suspend delivery, and, I memorized the key sequences to prime the pump, which is required whenever you change the tubing/infusion site, or when the pump demands it be primed. If I wish to set a temporary basal rate, or perform an extended bolus, I have to either do without, or rely on sighted assistance. Same for setting permanent basal rates. I've never used a bolus wizard, instead, like Bridgit, I rely on my own carb counting and math to determine boluses, and this includes remembering the last time I took a bolus and how much it was to take into consideration any "insulin on board" or "active insulin."

Others memorize key press sequences to set temporary basal rates or to give various kinds of boluses. I've never trusted doing this because since the Animas pumps don't beep with every key press, I'm never sure if I've done what I intended to do, and for me, when delivering insulin, that is beyond my comfort zone. Others on this list happily and successfully perform these pump functions without sight, but it is not what anyone would call accessible. I've been using pumps since 1997 successfully as a totally blind person, and not once have I had any negative medical incidents due to my use of a pump as a blind person.

Best of luck. You will find this list the best resource available for working through your challenges with managing diabetes with vision loss.

Tom Ley