[Diabetes-Talk] Talking BP cuff

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sat Dec 15 17:34:19 UTC 2018

I've got one that goes on the upper arm and it's the deluxe heart
monitor cost me about $60.  The monitor I had before went on the forearm
not the wrist.  The wrist monitors are junk so far as the medical
profession is concerned since they're consistently the least accurate.
On the older model which finally died there was a large round button and
a switch that could be moved into several positions.  If that switch was
in the wrong position the monitor could really be too tight for the arm.
 Once I got that set right with the help of my doctor that monitor
worked well until it died.

Now this deluxe monitor has no adjustment switch on it just three
buttons one memory one to start and one for settings.  The memory
button and settings button do not talk.  The screen is large and this
one can keep records for 90 readings and do it for two people.  The
monitor has two hacks for attaching the hose and one jack is used for
one set of readings and the other jack is used for a second set if I'm
not mistaken.
Here's the thing with blood pressure.  Individual readings with all and
I repeat all cuff blood pressure monitors for low and high range blood
pressure will be close to the catheter measured blood pressure and the
catheter blood pressure is the gold standard.  Mid-range blood pressures
which is most of us the single readings are inaccurate only catheter
readings can get a good read and the catheter reading should be close to
the average blood pressure readings gotten with the cuff monitors.  So
120 to 140 in cystalic is mid-range and I forget the diastalic mid
range.  How I got this information was reading latest research coming up
in health publications.