[Diabetes-Talk] My DexCom G6

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 05:33:28 UTC 2018

The Libre should tell you what your glucose levels are at any time. With Dexcom, it's constantly taking blood sugars, so, you can track them minute-by-minute. You just check the app, and it tells you what your blood sugars are, and if they are staying steady, or rising/lowering, and at what rate they are rising/lowering. Dexcom also alerts you if you drop too low or go up too high. You can set custom numbers if you want. For example, by default, Dexcom alerts you when you go above 250, but I like to know sooner, so, I changed mine to alert me at 180. And it's the same with lows, but no matter what, if you drop to 55, it alerts you. With Dexcom, it's designed to over ride your phone, so, if you have it on mute, the alert sound still alarms.

I don't know much about Libre, but if it's a CGM, you should be able to check your levels at any time, whether high or low. That's the whole point; it's a glucometer that can test frequently.

As for size, I have no clue, but I assume any CGM is smaller. With Dexcom, the sensor is a little smaller than a half dollar, and the transmitter looks like a bigger micro flash drive, about the thickness of a finger (at least mine) and about an inch in length. I wear mine on my tummy, and underneath clothes, it's not noticeable, and I don't exactly wear baggy clothes.