[Diabetes-Talk] Questions regarding blood sugar and diet

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 02:28:15 UTC 2019

Carbs make glucose levels rise. Foods like bread, containing wheat and/or
grains, foods with sugar and processed foods like pretzels and crackers have
a high glicimic index, meaing they make BGs rise higher than carbs like
carrots or peas. Even potatoes and rice have a high glicimic index and will
raise BGs more than other foods.

Fruits and some veggies have carbs but affect BGs differently than
wheat/grain or rice or snakc foods, etc.

Protein is what stabilizes glucose levels. That's why it's recommended to
eat more protein and what they used to refer to as "free" veggies at meals,
because these items don't impact BGs like carbs, especially foods high in
carbs like bread, pasta and sugar.

Before bed, it might be best to avoid carbs, or carbs like bread or
crackers, etc. Focus on proteins and low-carb veggies. FYI, unless using an
all natural peanut butter, peanut butter is high in carbs because of all the
sugar.

I'm a vegetarian who leans towards vegan options and does low-carb. There
are a lot more choices with veggies than you realize. While you don't have
to go full vegetarian, you can try to incorporate more veggies in a meal.

If you bake meat but bread it, the breading has carbs, which will impact
glucose levels. My recommendation would be grilled or baked meats with no
breading or sauce. I like to use home-made dry rubs that don't have carbs,
and usually no sugar. Sauces like BBQ also have a lot of sugar, which means
a lot of carbs; just something to keep in mind.

Instead of bread or potatoes, find different recipes for various veggies.
One veggie side my family likes are carrot fries. I use coconut oil, but you
could also use olive oil. Mix in whatever seasonings into the oil you like.
We do anything from just salt and pepper to garlic, cumin and basil. Toss
raw carrots in the mixture then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. At the
end, I usually broil them for 1 to 2 minutes to make them crispier.

There are also breadings you can make that are carb free. There's a crumb
recipe I sometimes use that uses almond flour as the base, and it has zero
carbs.

Definitely avoid anything with sugar at night. And a lot of these foods have
no nutritional value. Wheat, processed foods, foods high sugar, trans-fats--
absolutely no nutritional value.

Personally, I only drink about 1 can of diet soda a week. Regardless of what
it does to BGs, it's not healthy. And there are studies indicating sugar
substitutes essentially fool your body, thinking it's consuming sugar and
can potentially raise BGs. Something to keep in mind when drinking soda.
Sweet obviously has sugar, and personally, I can't stand sweet tea, but
would avoid it because of the extra sugar. But maybe once or twice a week as
a treat.

Another thing to consider is using a fast acting insulin like Humalog to
bolus at meals. If your current protocol is not working, it might be time to
consider meal boluses. Insulin is what breaks down the glucose in our body.
Non-diabetics obviously don't require assistance for this. Theoretically,
they can eat anything and maintain stable BGs. But of course, us diabetics
either don't produce enough insulin or none at all. So adding insulin to our
regimen can be beneficial. If you can't get BGs under 200, this is
definitely something to consider. Especially if you have no intention of
changing your meal plan and life style.

Lots of things can impact BGs, including stress, exercise or lack thereof.
But food and nutrition is high on the list of what affects BGs.

Do you get any exercise? Any physical activity? This can also help with BGs.
I do a lot of walking. Some for work/kids, etc. But also for exercise. I do
jog, swim, yoga and elliptical at least 5 times a week too. But you don't
have to have a super rigorous routine. Just walking around the neighborhood
is good.

I hope this all helps and gives you options to consider.