[Diabetes-Talk] OmniPod and Medtronic 530G

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 06:17:49 UTC 2019

Verlyn,

Do you mean you spoke to Medtronic about the 530G? The 730G is its newest
model, and it would be able to supply one for a new patient; I'm assuming
it's the 530Gs they have in stock they are keeping for those of us who have
it, so if we need a replacement since it will no longer manufactor the 530G,
but it's fully steam ahead on manufacturing the 730G. So, I'm confused as to
why a new patient couldn't get a 730G.

I would love to think a fully accessible pump would be on the market soon,
but it's not likely. I've been waiting 16 years for this, and it's nowhere
near happening. Prodigy had been working on a fully accessible talking pump
several years ago but then suddenly stopped and has no intention of starting
it back up. Currently, no pump company is even working on accessibility for
a pump, so a year from now is definitely not going to happen. The easiest
solution would be for the T Slim or Medtronic to adopt a voice-over program
like what Apple uses, and like our iPhones and iPads, it would be a feature
you can turn on if you need it. We don't necessarily need an entirely
separate pump for blind people. We can still dream and fight for a better,
equal future as blind diabetics though.