[Diabetes-Talk] 2019 NFB Legislative Priority

Milton Ota mota1252 at samobile.net
Sun Feb 10 19:22:50 UTC 2019

Hello All:

I being the one that posted the information about the NFB's Legislative
Priority, let me explain why this became a priority for this years
Legislative Washington Seminar.

Over the past few years at the National convention resolutions were
passed by the convention for accessible medical devices used in the
home, exercise equipment that either you buy or use in a gymn that you
pay for membership and home appliances that manufacturers continue to
produce that are not fully accessible.
Granted that we have seen talking microwave ovens, and most recently
the Amazon Echo come out with a microwave that works in conjunction
with your Echo, but that is still not enough. Like you are saying what
about dishwashers, washing machines and smart refrigerators. Then, it
comes to smart televisions and they too are not all accessible.

The National Federation of the Blind is asking the U.S. Access Board
through legislation to put a priority on setting guidelines for home
medical devices, then exercise equipment and then followed by home
appliances. It sounds like a long shot but if we all Americans pull
together we will see it happen.

So I hope you will all get on the band wagon with your local affiliate
and if you are not part of a local affiliate, you might want to look
for your local affiliate president on the National Federation of the
Blind homepage, and talk with them about becoming a member.