[Diabetes-Talk] what am I doing wrong?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 17:48:20 UTC 2019

Amber,

To be honest, it's not that helpful having sighted people try to assist with showing blind people how to do things. They do everything, well, sighted, and we need to learn to do it nonvisually. I rarely find sighted help for things like this helpful. When I trained on my insulin pumps and now CGM, I had to explain to my nurse eds, who have worked with me for years, how it had to be done, because their directions and "ideas" of how a blind person would do it were just wrong. They have now implemented what I taught them when training other blind diabetics on things. Obviously, they can teach the operation of a device, but they usually have no clue how to do it nonvisually.

Some days are just different than others. Once you're more comfortable with all this, it won't be so difficult. How many times a day does your doctor want you testing? Your script should have been written to supply you with plenty of strips. Grant it, you're going through more because of this trial and error. If you need more, if you ask your endo office, they can sometimes give you a bottle. My endo office has done this with strips and even insulin before. And, you can purchase Prodigy strips on Amazon too if you need more before insurance will let you reorder.

BTW, Medicare isn't all that great, smirk.