[Diabetes-Talk] Does anyone remember the pumps that first cane out?

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 23:11:34 UTC 2019

I had a chance to receive an insulin pump more than 30 years ago.  I was in
a study up at Yale having to do with my sight.  I was on the team that
didn't use the pump, but when we finishe the study we were offered to try
the pump.

I don't remember the sensors, but the pump was the size of a VHS tape around
6" by 9" by 3".  It beep every time it administered insulin.  I remember
going to a concert wearing it and when I got the pat down to go in they
pulled me out of line and asked a lot of questions.

I used it for maybe 3 months, but my kids were young and I had too many
insulin reactions and this was before blood glucose machines came out.

The one I have now is far advanced and much easier than back then.  All we
need is to get the pump companies to make it accessible for us blind folks.

Joyce