[Diabetes-Talk] What do people eat to turn around a hypo

jamielgurganus at gmail.com jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 11:39:35 UTC 2019

I use glucose tablets, since they get in to your system a lot quicker than
candy.   Most people tend to "treat" themselves to some kind of sweet, but I
don't like the extra fats and calories candy or a cookie has in it.
However, I do like an apple with peanut butter if my low is close to lunch.
I also carry the little pouches of fruit snacks with me, since they do a
good job of bringing up a low blood sugar.  They are pure corn syrup, and it
is crazy that we think they are good for our kids!

  I am just very sensitive to rebound high blood sugars and am careful not
to over treat the blow blood sugar.    But, as Greg said, anything that has
15 grams of sugar will do the trick.  Here are some things that I have used
in the past.

A handful of some kind of dried fruit like raisins, pineapple (Dried fruit
is full of sugar)
Little boxes of yogurt covered raisins- they work great and seem to be kind
of a healthy option
Juice boxes that are made for kids, but are great for backpacks of
diabetics.
Hard candy that won't melt while in your backpack or purse (Nothing worse
than having a low blood sugar and having to work to unwrap a piece of candy
that is melted to the wrapper)