[Diabetes-Talk] insulin pumps and CGM

Alyssa Frierson alyssafrierson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:15:15 UTC 2019

Hi all,
I was on the list a while ago, took a break, and now I'm back with a
question. For those of you on insulin pumps, what insulin pump do you
use? I have Type 1 and have used an Animas pump for the entire
thirteen years I've been on a pump. My warranty expires at the end of
April, so I have to sadly switch. I meet with my Diabetes educator on
Tuesday to discuss options, but thought I'd ask here as well. I have
some residual vision and have been able to use my Animas Ping
independently with some magnification. I know there's not a totally
accessible pump, but was wondering if you've found some more easy to
use than others? My doctor suggested at one point the Tandem T-Slim
might work because of the contrast on the screen?

Also, for those of you who have a CGM, which do you have? I know
Dexcom has an iPhone app; is it accessible? I'm really on the fence
about a CGM. I'm not sure I like the idea of being attached to
something else all the time (having a pump and CGM stuck to my body
all the time), and am not sure how I feel about always being able to
look at my blood sugars. My last A1C was 6.9, so I feel like my
control is generally pretty good. But lately I'm finding I have
growing anxiety about my overnight blood sugars and have trouble not
over-correcting for lows, so I can see some advantage to trying a CGM.
Both of these feel like big changes since I've only ever used my
Animas pump (or shots) and my glucose meter for so long, so I think
I'm struggling a bit with wrapping my head around it, if that makes
sense or if anyone can relate.

I'd appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thank you!

Alyssa