[Diabetes-Talk] insulin pumps and CGM

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 20:54:49 UTC 2019

Alyssa,

First, the only pump totally blind diabetics can now use work-arounds for is
the Medtronic 530G, which is no longer being offered unless you absolutely
need it, and even then, you might not be able to get one. Some of us were
able to switch to the 530 G back in October and be under a 4 year warranty,
but my understanding is that Medtronic will no longer supply that warranty
to people who request the 530G, because it doesn't plan to manufactor it in
the future. I used a Cosmo for years, then switched to Animas when Cosmo was
discontinued. I'm totally blind, and have a lot of success with Cosmo and
Animas. When Animas decided to stop all pumps, and there were none on the
market that can work for totally blind people, I wasn't sure what to do. I
think Medtronic allowed us to switch to the 530 G for this very reason, but,
as I said, it doesn't plan to use it anymore. But for at least 4 years, I
have the 530G, and it's working as well as the Cosmo and Animas, although,
Cosmo was my favorite and most accessible pump.

However, if you can use magnification with a pump, you might have more
selection. Your best bet is to get your hands on a T Slim or the Medtronic
630G or 730G and see how they work with magnification.

I use Dexcom and love it. I was also concerned with having a CGM sensor and
my pump, but it's not that big of a deal.

So, with Dexcom, what you wear on your body is a sensor, that is the
thickness of a sticker, like an infusion set. The transmitter snaps onto the
sensor, and it's about the width and thickness of a smallish flash drive.
There are no wires or tubes; it all connects with blue tooth. The system
comes with a receiver, which looks like a mobile phone, but it's totally
inaccessible, although, it might work with magnification. The iPhone app is
fully accessible however, and most of us exclusively use the app.

I love knowing what my sugars are at any given time of day, and I don't have
to poke my finger to do it. As a busy mom, it's super convenient. And I
frequently experience overnight lows, and Dexcom alarms at me when I drop
below 70, and if I go below 55, it alarms with an urgent low glucose alarm.
You can set a specific number for when you want to be alerted about highs
and lows. I have mine set for 70 for lows, which is the default, and 200 for
highs, the default is 250. It also lets me know if my sugars are constant or
rising or lowing, and at what rate they are rising/lowering. I really like
knowing if I'm rapidly dropping or raising, or conversely, slowly
dropping/raising, because it helps me better treat either scenario.

Dexcom has the G5 and G6. Depending on your insurance, it will depend on if
you qualify for the newer G6 version. Hope this all makes sense and is
helpful.