[Diabetes-Talk] Out and About with the Pens

jamielgurganus at gmail.com jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:01:52 UTC 2019

Hi all!  In the late 80's, early 90's, I used the first Novapen to give my
meal time insulin.  I always used my abdomen, unless my thigh was accessible
when wearing shorts.  I didn't care who saw me doing it, but I was discreet
about doing it under the table.  Giving my insulin with the pump was often
less discreet.  I remember wearing a nice dress for my class reunion and had
my pump in my bra.  Reaching in my dress to access my pump was not a very
lady-like site at the dinner table!  I never wore it in my bra again.

Don't worry about what others might think.  Those you are with should know
that you are a diabetic and need to take your insulin.  People at other
tables are probably not staring at you or watching your every move, so don't
worry so much about hiking up your shirt to take your insulin.  I can't
recall any instance that someone questioned what I was doing, since I did it
so quickly under the table.  Just like Bridget, I also breast fed my son in
public.  I was careful not to expose myself, but you still knew what I was
doing.  Again, everyone has a different comfort level in regards to taking
insulin in public, but I really don't think most people notice what you are
doing.  Most are too busy looking at their phones these days!

				Jamie