[Diabetes-Talk] Was just approved for a dexcom G5, help for a beginner please?

Doula Jarboe doula.jarboe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 16:09:49 UTC 2019

Hi There,

 Congrats on getting the Dexcom G5. I can't answer your questions
about use with the Iphone, as I'm an Android user. However, when I
started with my Dexcom, I got training with a Diabetes educater, which
was helpful. She had a practice inserter, so I could practice with
peeling off the backing and inserting the sensror probe. Getting the
backing off is a little tricky, and can take patients. Most people
place the sensor and transmitter on their abdomena I put mine on the
back of my arm. I also have my husband to help with the insertion
process, which is nice. I usually do mine either late afternoon or
sometime during the evening. You'll get used to waiting through the
warmup time. You might want to use some extra medical tape or get the
overlay patches to help keep the sensor in place for the seven days.
If you have a sensor malfunction, you'll want to call technical
support. They are pretty good about replacing a sensor, even if you
screw things up with the insertion process. When I started, they
recommended not setting all the alarms that are available, and give
yourself time to adjust to having so much more information. Hope
things go well.
Doula