[Diabetes-Talk] Need pump advice

Sharon K Parsons sharonkparsons at charter.net
Mon Apr 6 18:39:22 UTC 2020

I am blind and have been using a Paradigm 523 insulin pump for many years.
I need to get a replacement of some kind.
My endocrinologist's nurse sent out requests to 3 companies to contact
me:  Medtronic, Omnipod, and Tandem.
I just heard from a rep from Medtronic. He said he could set me up with a
Medtronic Minimed 530G and he sent me a link to the web site where I could
read about it.
But on the web site they said that sales of the 530G were discontinued in
October of 2018.
This troubles me because I don't know if the 530G is or isn't still
supported by Medtronic.
The rep said that it would be a brand new pump and that it is almost
identical to my Paradigm 523, except that I could disregard all the
information about the CGM that is associated with it.
He said that all later models would not be accessible because of the
unlocking problem.
I called Medtronic anwas told that the 530G was no longer available, so he
would reach out to the sales rep and have him call me back.

I hardly ever post a message here on this list, but I follow all of your
posts and am truly impressed by the knowledge of all of you.
I am now asking for some advice on what to do about this 530G pump.
Of course, I am going to wait to hear from Omnipod and the Tandem before
deciding what to do.
But I would appreciate any advice on any of these pumps.

P.S.:  I am technologically challenged so my husband helps me with my pump
and all these issues and he is posting this message for me.