[Diabetes-Talk] re a good tutorial or introduction on how to use rapid acting insulin as i have just been place on it for the first time

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon May 11 14:48:16 UTC 2020

Your endo should really create a protocol with you. Some people take
fast-acting insulin as a bolus before a meal; but despite it still being
done, it's an outdated method. I eat my meals then calculate my carb/insulin
ratio and deliver a bolus. My current carb/insulin ratios are 1/6 for
breakfast and lunch. 1/9 if I have an afternoon snack and 1/20 for dinner. I
do incremental fasting, so only eat between noon and 8 p.m. However, about
every 3 or 4 months, we have to adjust my ratios. For correcting highs, I
take 1 unit beginning at 200, and take another unit for every 50 units over
200. So, for 200, I take a unit. At 250, I take 2 units. So-forth-and-so-on.
But, your sliding scale is specific to you. This really needs to be set by a
medical professional. I can't believe your doctor hasn't created a
carb/insulin ratio for you and a sliding scale.