[Diabetes-Talk] Restaurants and nutrition information.

sjryan2 at gmail.com sjryan2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 02:34:46 UTC 2020

Hi Alan,

This has been a special frustration of mine for three decades, since I spent
my career in dietetics and counseling people with diabetes and other issues
that required knowing what was in their food.
One reason restaurants often don't have nutrition information for their menu
items is that making it available requires research, calculation, and a
precise recipe, and often restaurants that are not part of a regional or
national chain balk at the cost of hiring someone to do the work, or at
taking the time themselves to come up with what you need. I believe that in
most cases, having the information available is now required for larger
restaurants. Sometimes, if you ask for nutrition information it can be
produced. But this is a difficult issue, and I don't know the one right
answer for dealing with it.

I can tell you that at most restaurants, the size of a serving of pasta is
between 4 and 6 ounces, which is huge. In many restaurants, the size of a
slice of bread is equal to two or three standard slices. Sometimes you can
estimate what you have.

Also, if you have nutrition information for a similar item from a chain
restaurant, and the portion size at the restaurant without information is
similar, chances are the values for the chain's item can be used to estimate
the other restaurants information. Just remember that if one serving is
larger or smaller than the other, you will need to take that into account
and add or subtract nutrient amounts.

I hope this helps at least a little.

I'm sure others on this list will have suggestions as well.

Sandi