[Diabetes-Talk] Reading labels

Terri Stimmel icecreamlover76 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 18 11:48:28 UTC 2021

Hello again everyone,

First of all, thank you to both Patricia, and Bridget, for your great
thoughts and advice. I really appreciate it. I appreciate the time,
effort, and care you put in to your responses. It really helps me out,
and I am quite sure it helps others as well. It helps me to realize that
I am truly not the only one who struggles.

Yes, I am working with a diabetes educator. Although, I will be starting
with a new one in May. I am hoping this will go well. The one I had
unfortunately moved out of state. I really liked her.

For now, it is recommended that I not have more than 45 carbs per meal,
and no more than 15 carbs per snack. Also, only one, or two snacks a
day. But none if this is something I can manage. I am totally fine with
all this. It's something I want, and something I am most definitely
trying to do. They did say that treats and such, or ordering out is
fine. But like you said Bridget, just on the weekends. Something like
that. Which I like this as well, because then it isn't so much of a
shock to my system. But also, my boyfriend is being very supportive, and
tollerant of these changes I am making. I know it hasn't been all that
easy for him. I have had friends say that I should just worry about
myself. Just cook for myself, and not worry about him. But that's a lot
easier said than done. I mean, he is my partner. So for me it isn't just
that simple. We have worked it out that if he wants to make his own
choices for breakfast and lunch, that's fine. But since we enjoy having
dinner together, then I want to mostly be in charge of that. So I
usually am. This is not to say he doesn't have choices. But he knows
that I am wanting to have less processed foods and such.

I have been looking for recipes. I feel this is going pretty well.
Although it does get a bit overwhelming at times. I have also been
trying to pay attention to if I am really hungry or not. The lady I was
seeing did talk to me about this. She suggested rating my feelings of
hunger on a scale. Scales usually don't work for me. But the concept
makes sense to me, and has actually come in handy a lot. I realized that
I would snack when I really wasn't hungry at all. For instance, when
watching TV. Or if my boyfriend wanted a snack, then I thought I did as
well. When really I didn't. So this has definitely been helpful.

I have tried hard to not beat myself up over making mistakes, or eating
something I know I really should avoid. This is very difficult for me.
So it is certainly a work in progress. My one problem is, I will
sometimes buy a bag of the fun-size packages of M&Ms. But when I want
one, I find myself eating 2 of them. Which then defeats the purpose of
having a treat. Also, I tend to think that if I just can manage to eat
one pack, that I can then do it almost every day. So this is a struggle
for me, and still needs work. I have quit purchasing things like oreos,
and peanut butter cups, because I couldn't just eat one at a time. I
figured if I couldn't do this, then I just don't need them in the house.
LOL!

So what is the recommended amount of sodium, for diabetics?

Also, how do you know if something is considered low in sodium?

Some of the labels I read are confusing to me. I've been looking at
some, trying to consider if I want to purchase them or not. For
instance, some Codiac cakes, frozen pancakes. I don't think I spelled
that properly. But hopefully you all will know what I meant.

I am also looking at purchasing some tortillas. But I want to watch what
I get.

Also, should I be concerned with how much fat something has in it?

I mean, with the sagerated fats? That's the ones to be concerned with, yes?

As for another food struggle I have, I struggle with knowing what I
might want to eat. I get very frustrated at times, when it comes to
making these decisions. Especially with breakfast, and lunch. So I try
skipping breakfast. Or for lunch, I will want to turn to junk, or the
not so healthy stuff. Or I might eat very little. So I totally agree,
and understand that we all have struggles when it comes to food. And I
am glad that we are not alone in this.

Isn't it crazy how one of the things we need the most, can be such a
huge struggle, and stresser?

Thanks again for all the wonderful help and support. I will keep you all
posted as to how things are going for me.

Terri