[Diabetes-Talk] Please advise of an insulin pump

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Jan 21 22:39:54 UTC 2021

Hi Hope and everyone.
I am totally blind and have been using an insulin pump since 1991. In my
opinion, I was most thrilled with my Cozmo, which I used for 11 years. I
could access absolutely everything from that pump except the menu of foods
from which one could choose. It had a computer program that came with it.
One could go into that program, change basals, time or any other parameter
and then just send the changes to the pump via the infrared connection. Oh I
loved that pump! I was really burned by the Animas because I only had it for
a year before it went off the market. For almost three years now I have been
using the Omnipod. I confess I haven't gotten quite used to having no
tubing. The insulin goes into pods, which can be placed on the back of your
arm, belly, hips, back or thighs. I mostly use the back of my arms or my
belly because I can reach them and another drug or something doesn't lay
claim to those areas. <grin>
With the help from my hubby, I designed a little jig to help measure insulin
into the syringe. I do rely heavily on the Seeing AI app as I use the pump.
It's absolutely critical during the process of filling and changing the pod.
So we also made a cute little stand that holds the phone steady and allows
me to position the PDM, which is the remote that controls the pump, so it
doesn't move either. There are some icons that the app can't read like how
much battery is left. The app also cannot tell me what has been selected but
if I check it on each screen, I know I'm in the right place. It's not
perfect but boy, as the app is chatting at me when I'm changing that pod, it
almost feels like a talking pump. The only time I need help now is if the
remote dies and I have to start the setup on a new one. That's just a lot of
messing around, trying to use the app. But that has only happened once.
The new Omnipod controller is called the Dash and is completely inaccessible
as it's a touch screen, based on an android phone. Eventually it will be
paired with a Dexcom. I'm trying very hard to push this company to get this
accessible to us. But for now, they still support and supply the classic PDM
so I'm surviving. <grin>
I haven't heard about any new Medtronic pumps with the touch bolus button.
The big problem with Medtronic is that all they think blind people do is
give a meal bolus. Obviously our care givers set everything else up for us.
<sarcastic growl.>
And sadly, with every advance in diabetes management gear, we get left
further and further behind.
But Hope, there's no harm in setting up appointments with pump trainers so
you can get your hands on them and find out exactly what they're like. Even
if you decide you can't use them, you'll learn a lot. And you never know,
you might figure something out that has iluded the rest of us. <grin>
I actually was able to bring a Tandem and an Omnipod home for three days so
I could play with them to see what I could make work.
So that's the view from my world right now.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407