[Diabetes-Talk] Skin and tissue irritation at pump infusion site

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Sat May 22 18:26:06 UTC 2021

I recently started using the new ultra rapid acting insulin Lyumjev in my med Tronic insulin pump. It is working amazingly well for me as the insulin peaks very rapidly after the meal matching up exactly when my food peaks the blood sugar so that I rarely get much of a rise in blood sugar after eating. However I have one of the side effects listed in the literature and that is a lot of irritation of the skin and tissue around the cannula. It gets quite inflamed so apparently I have a bit of an allergy to this insulin. Don’t want to stop taking it however as it works very well. I have heard in the past from other folks that they will spray the skin with an anti-histamine such as Flonase prior to inserting the needle and this perhaps can prevent the skin and tissue irritation. Does anyone have experience with this and could suggest a product?  i’m seeing my Endo in a couple of weeks but thought I might get a Headstart on a solution if possible.
Patricia