[Diabetes-Talk] Alarming at public events

Schlenker, Emily Devaris eschlenker at ku.edu
Sun Apr 7 20:05:50 UTC 2024

Hello, I have a couple of thoughts from the perspective of someone who is blind and is also studying in a health profession.
Number One, I am guessing that there are people in all stages of their diabetic journey, and for a lot of them who are just getting started, there are a lot of new things to which they must get accustomed. Monitoring one's blood sugar accurately and consistently is probably intimidating and may come along with other difficulties related to an adjustment to blindness/assistive technology or learning to deal with a labile disease. I present this as my first concern, because I don't think the majority of people want to be disruptive or want to feel exposed while they are struggling with the above.

Number two, I can tell you that I would rather be disrupted than have a peaceful meeting only to discover that someone is in dire straits from a very low blood glucose.
All of that is to say that I am not sure that there is one solution for this problem.
To be fair, I do not have direct experience regarding how much seminars are disrupted, either.
I think that as long as the diabetes action network gains new members, this will persist.
These are my immediate thoughts, and it sounds like the practical side of this has been well addressed by others giving headphone recommendations, so I will sign off and return to studying.
Kind Regards,
Emily Schlenker
P2 Student KU School of Pharmacy