[Diabetes-Talk] Omnipod 5
Veronica Elsea
veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Aug 13 02:34:48 UTC 2026
Hi Sabrena.
I am totally blind, using the Omnipod 5. Here's the little weird part about the bolus screen. Once you double-tap on bolus, then move towards the top of the screen you'll find the following: "Bolus heading, then start swiping right, carbs image, carbs, custom foods button, then text field. If you double-tap on text field, that's where you enter the amount of carbs you want. When you double tap on the text field, you'll find the number pad below. When you've typed in the number, then go above the number pad and you'll find toolbar done. Double tap that and your carbs are entered. Then you can double tap on use sensor so that the pump can make adjustments based on those values. Then, back down at the bottom, you can look for the "confirm" button. Double tap that, and right below that button, you'll find the start button, which you double-tap and your done. Once you've done it, it's not as clumsy as it probably sounds here.
If you'd like, feel free to email me at veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com and I can set up a phone chat and play with the pump with you. Happy to share some other hints too.
Veronica Elsea
-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Sabrina Markel via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2026 3:51 PM
To: Diabetes Talk for the Blind <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Sabrina Markel <sabrina.markel at outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] Omnipod 5
I had my training for the omnipod 5 today and here's what went down.
The trainer was very professional and patient.
I had everything set to go.
Unfortunately, when I tried to click on the button that said, I'm in training, it just sat there and wouldn't proceed.
Luckily, I had my father's girlfriend nearby and I turned off voiceover so she could set up the app.
I took notes on my computer.
Once we got to the steps in preparing and filling the pod, things went from bad to worse.
I had the insulin ready but when I tried to draw it in to the syringe, it went all over the place.
Turns out, I didn't have the syringe/needle tightened on the pen.
We fixed that issue and I was able to finish drawing up what I needed to fill the pod.
I found the fill port and was able to fill with no issues.
We finished the training by me putting on the pod and inserting the canula.
The trainer explained several other details to me.
I had my sighted friend turn voiceover back on after she helped set up the app.
Everything seemed fine.
I was able to navigate the screen and find the important items I would need.
But it gets even worse from here.
I was ready to have my supper and I was trying to put my carbs in to the bolus calculator.
I double tapped on bolus and tried to double tap on the carbs but again, voiceover just sat there and nothing happened.
I selected use sensor to see if maybe that would solve the issue.
It didn't.
I don't know what to do here.
I managed to let the calculator give me a corrected bolus since my sugar was high and it gave me 11 carbs worth of insulin but I'm sure it'll go back up.
Has anyone else had these issues?
I have an IPhone 16E with IOS 26.5 on my phone.
I also had screen recognition set up on voiceover.
________________________________
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> on behalf of Greg Wocher via Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2026 6:23 AM
To: Diabetes Talk for the Blind <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Greg Wocher <gtwocher at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] Omnipod 5
Hello,
I use the omnipod 5. The tricky part is going to be in the settings of the app. You will need to use screen recognition in parts of it. Other than that the app is very usable. I love mine.
Greg Wocher
> On Aug 11, 2026, at 9:16 PM, Patricia Maddix via Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> I do not use the Omnipod, but use the Mobi however I know several blind people that use the Omnipod five totally independently. If you have a way to record your training session, I would definitely suggest that as that would allow you to go back and listen to all the steps that the trainer may cover rather quickly at your session. Encourage her to show you how to do things using touch and let you practice it yourself rather than her just trying to show it to you which of course you won’t be able to see. Hands-on practice is the best way to learn the pump and the app. I would be glad to connect you with some members of our Blind diabetic community afterwards that you could speak with by phone to get any tips from.
> Patricia
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 11, 2026, at 4:40 PM, Sabrina Markel via Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I’m a totally blind individual with type 1 Diabetes.
>> I’m about to begin my journey with Omnipod 5.
>> I have my training tomorrow afternoon and I’m very anxious.
>> I use the Dexcom G7 app on my IPhone.
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> _______________________________________________
>> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
>> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/pmaddix%40comcast.net
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/gtwocher%40gmail.com
_______________________________________________
Diabetes-Talk mailing list
Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/sabrina.markel%40outlook.com
_______________________________________________
Diabetes-Talk mailing list
Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/veronica%40laurelcreekmusic.com
More information about the Diabetes-Talk
mailing list