[DSM-Iowa] I'm A Survivor.

Mary McGee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:43:12 UTC 2021

Hello, again!

              I just listened to the Presidential Release and, I must say
that I'm impressed with the words.  But, as they say, talk is cheap but it
takes money to buy whiskey.  I'm now on the board of our chapter, so it's
time to be honest.  I'm a survivor, who was sexually assaulted at a National
Convention way back in 1976 by a national leader of the organization.  He
was just the first one; one or two other followed at different times.  I
also had an employee of the Iowa Commission for the Blind "come on" to me.
I've heal it in for years because I also come from an abusive childhood and
thought it was my fault.  I was a fish who jumped from the frying pan into
the fire when I thought the blindness community would be different.  It
wasn't.

              I sincerely hope we can move forward in this.  I am not
ashamed to say that I post on #MarchingTogether.  I will be vocal about this
issue.  I've spent years in psychotherapy and I'm not ashamed of that!
Training is nice.  Talking is nice.  At the local level, I want to see us DO
something.

              I will also seek help from the Survivors Task Force.  I
encourage everyone to do that if they feel the need.  We must uncover this
mess, root it out, and fix it?  I want to help!

              I sent my contact information in an earlier email.  If any of
you want to contact me, please do, even if you want to tell me full of it,
because you're entitled to you opinion.

Cordially,

Mary L. McGee