[DSM-Iowa] Disability Rights Iowa Event July 27

Helen Mejia hmejianfb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 20:32:40 UTC 2024

Hi All,

DRI is hosting an event July 27. The details are below. We are thinking that it would be great to have a group of NFB members at the event. Anyone can register and attend on your own, but I’m happy to submit one registration for a group of us. Each of us is responsible for our own transportation, but I’m also happy to help coordinate to save costs.
If you would like to be part of the DSM chapter group and have me register for you, please let me know by June 30. Please also reach out if you have any questions.

Helen Mejia
hmejianfb at gmail.com
570.983.7867

 <https://driowa.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=380e9269ef576e3a9488d4ad8&id=8c5ac2bbcc&e=8ec8f29967>
40 Years of DRI Advocacy | 34 Years of ADA Rights
Together, we honor the lasting impact of DRI's advocacy for Iowans with disabilities.

July 27, 2024
10:30-1:30 p.m.

Celebrate the Advancement of Disability Rights
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Premiere of Impact of Advocacy

Impact of Advocacy is a 15 minute video featuring Iowans with disabilities. The people included are interviewed on their impact on advocacy and the impact of advocacy on them.

11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Welcome Lunch

DRI welcomes all guests to enjoy lunch. Seating will be in shaded areas with accessible picnic tables and chairs. Vouches for a free lunch will be given to the first 150 people in attendance of the event.

12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
Speeches

Devon Boes, Program and Outreach Coordinator of Athene North Shore Recreational Area at Easter Lake.
Welcome to Athene North Shore Recreation Area. Overview and importance of the Americans with Disabilities Act Anniversary and introduction of Catherine Johnson.
Catherine Johnson, Executive Director of Disability Rights Iowa.
Welcome to 40/34 Equal Access Festival. Thank you for 40 years of support and current attendance and the honor it has been to serve and support Iowans with disabilities. Introduction of 40/34 Special Guest.
Iowa Representative Josh Turek.
Impact of disability rights, representation, and history of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Opportunity of attendees to meet with Catherine Johnson, Representative Turek, Devon Boes, and additional DRI team members. Additional activities to be announced.

Athene North Shore Recreation Area at Easter Lake.
2816 Shoreline Road
Des Moines, Iowa 50320

Disability Rights Iowa and Athene North Shore Recreation Area invite you to the 40/34 Equal Access Festival! This festival celebrates Disability Rights Iowa’s 40th Anniversary. DRI’s milestone represents 40 years of steadfast advocacy for Iowans with disabilities. The festival also celebrates the 34th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. 40/34 will be held at the newly opened Athene North Shore Recreation Area.

We invite you and your community to attend this festival. Together attendees will celebrate protection, advocacy, and advancement of disability rights. To learn more visit the festival website linked here.

Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend Disability Rights Iowa events. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this event, please email DRI at contact at driowa.org <mailto:contact at driowa.org> prior to June 15, 2024. In person captioning and ASL will be provided for the event.

40/34 Equal Access Festival Website
 <https://driowa.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=380e9269ef576e3a9488d4ad8&id=59af422730&e=8ec8f29967>

Follow us on Social Media!
Link Tree | linktr.ee/d_r_iowa <https://driowa.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=380e9269ef576e3a9488d4ad8&id=90ede5bb60&e=8ec8f29967>