[Dtb-talk] xmldtbook to NISO Z39.86

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:51:00 UTC 2009

That is not correct. In fact DAISY Pipeline does not even produce
DAISY/NISO 2002, which is not the same as DAISY  2.02 by the way.

The Pipeline narrator script will generate as a finished product two
version of the book a DAISY/NISO z3986-3 and a DAISY 2.02 version.
Should you need a text only DAISY/NISO 2005-3 book you can use the
Pipeline to produce a DAISY 2.02 version and then the DTB forward
migrator to transform it to DAISY/NISO z3986-3. (Pay no attention to
the error messages this script generates by the way, they are bogus
the book produced is fine.)

I use the Pipeline daily to generate DAISY/NISO z3986-3 books.

Here is a breakdown of the various DAISY standards.

DAISY 2.02 - HTML based, all playback devices and software will play
2.02 standard books. Most widely used standard at the present time.

DAISY/NISO 2002 - XML based, outside of book generated by the National
Library Service this standard is rarely used.

DAISY/NISO 2005 - XML based this is the most current standard. Most
modern playback system offered today will play this standard.

Hope this helps.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601