[Dtb-talk] Obi Help

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 31 19:03:07 UTC 2009

Good afternoon Greg and listers,

    I would like for once to receive a free DAISY creation tool that
wouldn't prompt me to install this and that other utility in order to permit
me to get the thing on my system and use it correctly. I ran in to this with
the save as daisy add-in for MSWord and Obi.
I needed to upgrade the .Net Framework and was prompted to upgrade both the
JAVA Run-Time Environment and Microsoft Direct X. Obi prompted me to upgrade
the JRE and proceeded to allow me to run the installer so it could be
upgraded. Because Obi was still being installed the JRE installation
aborted. Even after installing the JRE by itself Obi still prompted me to
reinstall it again and I was back with the same problem. It didn't make any
attempt to install Direct X. Obi wouldn't install on my system.I appreciate
the effort put in to developing these programs, but would appreciate more
effort being made to help users get them up and running with a minimum
amount of fuss and frustration.

Peter Donahue