[Dtb-talk] Free DAISY Software Installation Issues

David Nelson david at attainmentcompany.com
Mon May 11 14:53:24 UTC 2009

There is another perspective to this software tools ease-of-use issue that
I'd like to mention in this discussion thread.

As a publisher, my company wants to produce books as DAISY Digital Talking
Books. We think we have the technical expertise to use the software tools
being discussed, but it is not always easy to know when it makes practical
sense to attempt production work with them.

As we look at the situation, we are trying to determine what we CAN do to
make the task easier for the next person in the workflow that results in a
DTB that we can confidently provide to our customers. For example, we are
trying to educate ourselves about how to prepare a styled Word file in the
best possible way so that a more capable service provider can do the rest of
the work more efficiently -- keeping costs down and quality high.

And as we determine what is best for getting structure built into a Word
file, we want to expand that understanding to our editorial work so that the
presentational book design does not build in hierarchical problems that have
to be sorted out for the logical DAISY structures.

Of course, we also like to imagine a work flow that allows us to use open
source tools to do more and more of the work on our own. Ease of use is
obviously important to go down that path. If any other publishers are on
this discussion list, I'd enjoy hearing from you about how you are
approaching this situation.

So, having said all that, I want to be clear that I'm glad to see any and
all of the emerging software tools for doing this work. My objective is to
avoid throwing in the towel on creating DTBs because we get hung up on any
of the technical conduits along the way.

Best regards,
David Nelson, Attainment Company