[Dtb-talk] NLS Digital Players

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 01:30:05 UTC 2010

LOL, they had tapes with blank recorded-over spots? I'd assume they
kicked out that little notch on the tapes that prevents most units
from recording?... So that means either people were deliberately
defeating that, or had recorders which didn't have the mechanical
stopper on the record button that's hooked to that little hole in the
cassette.

In the US, many recording units were made that could record to NLS
format tapes (Handi-Cassette comes to mind). But it would have bee a
deliberate effort to record over an NLS book, due to this simple but
generally effective write protection scheme on old cassettes. (Yeah,
you can defeat it with a piece of Scotch tape, but again, that counts
as deliberate effort. lol)

Either way, I'm sure if one REALLY wanted to, one could erase a
cartridge, probably through some SCSI commands of some sort. (If
anyone remembers the Zip drive, you could write-protect the disk in
software, rather than a physical hardware switch. Something similar is
probably at work here.) But again, it'd require deliberate effort and
would not be done by accident by any random person, and either way it
sounds like they just dump and reload carts every time they come back
to the library anyway.

Mike, I also am an audiophile, and most of my ripped CD collection is
stored in FLAC on my computer, and then transcoded to something else
(MP3 or OGG or whatever) when I want to put it on to a portable
device. I won't settle for less than 192kbit MP3 or Q5 OGG. Still, CDs
serve mostly as a transient medium to transport content around. I
rarely ever touch a standard audio CD player anymore. lol

fm