[Dtb-talk] NLS Digital Players

Lynn Evans evans-lynn at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 04:45:37 UTC 2010

USB flash cartridge
1.3The player plays DTBs stored on USB flash drive cartridges. These
cartridges contain a type of solid state memorythat is nonvolatile and can
be rewritten thousands of times. They are resistant to damage by extremes of
temperature,humidity, and other environmental conditions expected to be
encountered by patrons and libraries. The cartridge has a feature that
enables erasing or rewriting of the contents, but only by authorized
parties. Thus, it isimpossible for patrons to inadvertently or maliciously
alter the contents of the book. Cartridges are manufactured in several
sizes. The nominal capacities are 512 MB and 1 GB and 2GB. About 99.5percent
of NLS DTB titles are less than 1GB in size.Cartridges accommodate a print
and braille label in a slightly recessed area to protect the embossed
braille. This labelcontains two 30-point print lines, four large-print
(14-point) lines, and five rows of book information in braille. Theunderside
of the cartridge has an area available for a library-specific label or
identifier.The cartridge has mechanical features that assist handling by
physically handicapped persons. It can be inserted intothe player in only
one orientation.