[Dtb-talk] More on NLS and International Interlibrary loan

Tim Gillett tim.gillett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 21 22:13:14 UTC 2010

Greg, I must correct you on a factual error regarding Talking Books in Western Australia.

You said  '"even when we had tapes we did not use the half speed four track system used in the United States."

Until 1991 the Association For the Blind of Western Australia (ABWA) very much employed the NLS/LOC 4 track system and produced titles in both 4 track and standard 2 track.

In 1991 ABWA closed down its busy player service facility, withdrawing all service support for the approximately 1300 NLS 4 track players to the West Australian blind.

 I should know. I had been responsible for that service at ABWA.

It ceased to issue 4 track titles and reverted to a merely 2 track cassette service which remains to this day. Blind clients have had to source, service and pay for their own tape players.

 Of course  the situation became much worse  in the past decade or so, as  suitable standard 2 track players increasingly became very difficult to obtain in the marketplace.

What sort of "accessibility" should we call this?

To my knowledge, in the Talking Book world ABWA's withdrawal of support for the NLS 4 track service was an unprecendented move. All of the other Australian and New Zealand providers who also carried NLS 4 track continued to support it. Vision Australia says that it will only withdraw support for its NLS 4 track cassette system in June this year.

Best wishes

Tim Gillett
Audio/Electronics Technician
Perth, Western Australia