[Dtb-talk] DTB Here and There

Tim Gillett tim.gillett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 22 21:11:19 UTC 2010

I forgot to say that since the stereo and NLS 4 track models appear to use
 the same analog player and only differ in the software to process the files,
users may be able to use an existing Stereo model to convert NLS 4 track tapes
 just by using the NLS 4 track software settings and so save on having to purchase
 a complete new unit.

There may however be a compromise of crosstalk bleed between adjacent tracks
as I seem to remember the NLS format optimised isolation between adjacent tracks
whereas standard stereo physically bunched the two stereo track pairs closer together
as crosstalk wasnt such an issue when the same basic program was carried on left and right tracks.

At ABWA we did use standard stereo duplicators for NLS 4 track
with the penalty of some compromise in crosstalk between adjacent tracks.

If Graff have done their work well on the Digitiser range they should probably use a slightly different 4 track head
 for stereo models and NLS 4 track models but I cant confirm this.