[Dtb-talk] Introduction

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 18:12:50 UTC 2010

Hello,

I would like to respond to your suggestion to have a braille display in the
digital talking player, since it looks like you advocate this in your
message.

1. NLS already provides materials in braille, and a braille display would
not be justified, since materials are in paper braille already.

2. The display would make the machine hard for people to use, and some would
ask for more, ie that the player be a fully fledged note-taker. I can just
see it now.

3. The display would add significantly to the costs of the machine, and if
anybody says they have a low cost solution for a braille display, I'll
believe it when I see it. Just bring on the innovation, and I'll be the
first to buy it, after all it's low cost, right?

4. Braille displays on the market today have too many moving parts, and
would make the reader more than it should be, and more brittle than
necessary.

These are some of my thoughts on why a braille display does not belong in
the NLS player. It's not a battle worth fighting. In fact it is not a battle
at all.

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.

Student, Western Governors University
(617) 744-9716