[Dtb-talk] new to the list and DTB's

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 15:21:09 UTC 2010

Good morning everybody.

I just found this listserv on NFB's web site yesterday and became excited about it. When it comes to digital talking books, I know as much about them as I do about who'll be in the 2010 World Series and win it (which is to say nothing.)

I currently receive my books from NLS in either cassette or braille; however, I noticed as I search NLS's web site for authors or books that a lot of them are digital downloads or web braille. I know that this is a DTB listerserv; however, does anyone know what web braille books from NLS is and how to access them?

As far as DTB's, my question is the same thing. I tried to investigate how to receive them from NLS; but, one needs a player and there's seven listed. I also noticed that RFB&D switched all of their stuff to digital stuff. So, what's the best DTB player (the NLS one, etc.?) How does one get digital books from NLS? Downloading? Ordering?

I hope to make the switch in the near future because I'm afraid that NLS will start to offer more DTB's and junk the cassettes very soon. I'm especially worried about the older books only on cassette that aren't on DTB and if they'll conver them or what.

Sorry for all this rambling! Thanks for all your help and for reading this!

Mike