[Dtb-talk] Victor Reader Stream editions

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 06:06:40 UTC 2010

We use the VictorReader Stream Library editions here and have been very pleased with them. We don't use any digital rights management in our books so we don't have to worry about the key issues. We do put the latest firmware on the root of every cartridge we mail out to insure the user get's the latest update.

On 21/03/2010, at 7:44 AM, Mike Freeman wrote:

> Hi, Mike.
>
> The difference between the standard VRStream and the Library Edition is that the latter has an adaptor into which one can insert NLS cartridges. Without the adaptor, one has to plug a cable into the cartridge with the other end going into the VRStream. The other difference between the standard VRStream and the Library Edition is that the latter has an audio Quick Start Guide telling the user how to attach the NLS cartridge adaptor to the Stream and play books. The version bundled with the CD player allows Daisy CD's such as those from RFB&D to be loaded onto the VRStream (of whatever edition) without the use of a computer to first download the Daisy books.
>
> In all three instances, you'll still have to get a key from NLS and Humanware to play the NLS books and a key from RFB&D to play RFB&D books if you so desire. The RFB&D key is free-of-charge now; one no longer has to pay for a CD with the key on it.
>
> I've seen the VRStream NLS cartridge adaptor and it's pretty neat but I've just used the cable to connect the cartridges to the Stream and haven't bought the adaptor (or the CD drive either, for that matter).
>
> Mike Freeman
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Gilmore" <m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com>

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com