[Dtb-talk] what is appropriate for this list

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 02:37:34 UTC 2010

As stated in the list description on the nfbnet.org website:

"The purpose of this list is for the discussion of Digital Talking
Books for the Blind. The list is sponsored by the National Federation
of the Blind.

There are a number of activities going on around the world, all of
which are stimulating interest in digital talking books for the blind.
These things include, but are not limited to:

*introduction of DAISY books by RFB&D in 2002 via its Audio Plus program
*Introduction of a DTB program by the RNIB in Great Britain
*availability of DTB's in Canada via CNIB, Japan via JSRPD, and
various other countries around the world,
*the availability of DAISY books via BookShare.org,
*the adoption of the NISO/DAISY 3.0 standard for file formats related to DTB's,
*efforts on the part of NLS to introduce DTB's to its nationwide program by 2008
*introduction of various machines and software programs which will play DTB's,
*and more!

The primary focus of this list will be from the viewpoint of the
end-consumer, but production tools, techniques, etc. are also valid
topics."

Therefore, both technological discussions and political or end-user
concern discussions are considered appropriate.

fm