[Dtb-talk] Bookshare.org, internet archive and other automated DAISY production

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Wed May 12 02:36:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

Don't know much about automation, etc.  As a reader, I strongly believe the
goal should be to create a DAISY book as near the print book as possible .
Perfection is difficult, granted, but it can be the goal.

To me DAISY holds the promise of using a recorded or digital book just like
a print book. This includes notes, indices, making my own marks and notes
and highlights, etc.

I say this feeling very grateful about the wonderful strides that have been
made in past 10 years on text availability.  This is a far different world
than when I graduated from high school in 1969.  I love Kurzweil, Google and
Bookshare.  NLS's digital system, especially the player is fantastic, though
the markups are not always ideal.

Remember, cassette tapes came out when I was in high school.  My first
Talking Books were on 33 1/3 RPM records.

This is a great  time to be a blind person.  Thank you to NFB, Helen keller
and all the pioneers who had the imagination to help create this future.

So, Greg, I say, YES, keep pushing for the best.  We will all benefit.

Warmest Regards,

Fred