[Dtb-talk] iPhone/iPad/iPod touch NLS Playback question

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun May 16 18:50:11 UTC 2010

Greg:

Both NLWS and Bookshare are basing their approaches from the same law
-- the so-called Chafee Amendment to the copyright law of 1996.  It
basically says that the appropriate entities can distribute books to
blind persons, without having to get copyright permission from the
publisher first, if the book is in a "nonstandard" format.  The
entity must also be a nonprofit, or government agency who primarily
serves the blind etc.

To date most people have interpreted this law to mean that DAISY or
BRF were specialized formats that the law called for.  You could, of
course argue otherwise, since text is present or readily obtainable,
however no one has challenged this interpretation.

NLS's use of encryption, and other protections is their
implementation of the law.  The law doesn't specifically call for
them, it just deals with the end result.

Being housed in the same parent agency as the copyright office, they
need to be more conservative then would YOU OR I.  You can rant and
rail against their interpretation, but they are going to do what they
think necessary.

Dave

                         David Andrews:  dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920