[Dtb-talk] Mis-Categorized books on BARD

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 9 20:41:04 UTC 2011

Hi Rose and list,

I know what you mean by the throwback practice of using l in lieu of 1. It
reminds me of the old Royal 440 ginormous typewriter I learned to type with
in fourth grade, which occurred more years than I care to admit. Like Jack
Benny I am holding, holding, holding, etc. <grin> But seriously folks, I
attribute this to an OCR scan error and go on, chuckling of course.

As for apparent misclassification of literary works, I agree with those who
opine that a good deal of latitude for judgment is involved, although the
Dewey Decimal, or as i like to call it, the Dewey Decibel, system offers
good guidance and can probably be located online. Some misclassifications
are quite common; for example, Gulliver's Travels is often miscategorized
under children's literature. As a former braille teacher pointed out, how
can it be children's lit when there are so many complex relationships and
issues in the story. I think the same could be argued as to George Orwell's
Animal Farm.

End of sermon and have a wonderful spring day, wherever you are.
Rob Tabor & Guide Cane Raúl Junior