[Dtb-talk] The Physical Cartridges themselves?

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:44:16 UTC 2011

Having read over the U.S. Copyright law dealing with talking books I'm not convinced that the encryption was required by law, more likely it was how some lawyers interpreted the law.

Either way the end result has been the total elimination of the once thriving sharing of talking books between the U.S. and other talking book libraries world wide. We continue to share books with other world libraries, in particular those in the British Commonwealth, but can no longer access books for the NLS collections as we once did. Because of this we and other international libraries no longer provide books to the NLS as we once did preferring instead to enrol U.S. citizens directly.

Our policy on this is clear. We will share our books with any library who will do the same with us. We will enrol any person, regardless of location, who is blind, print disabled (dyslexic) or who has a physical condition which prevents them from accessing conventional print. We would much rather deal with your libraries but given the current state of affairs that seems not to be possible.

Gregory Kearney | Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA
PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979 | 61 Kitchener Ave, Victoria Park WA 6100
Tel: 08 9311 8246 | Fax: 08 9361 8696 | www.guidedogswa.com.au
Tel: 307-224-4022 (North America)
Email: greg.kearney at guidedogswa.com.au
Email: gkearney at gmail.com