[Dtb-talk] Association for the Blind of Western Australia library system details

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 07:21:15 UTC 2011

Enclosed this this email are some picture and descriptions of the Association for the Blind of Western Australia library system. We use USB flash drives developed for the National Library Service in the United States. Unlike that service however we assign drives to the users using the unique serial number of each drive. When a drive come back in the mail it is put into one of the loading stations. The BookLoader software we developed then reads a list of new titles from our library information system for that user, erases the drive and loads the new titles to it. We are able to turn around the drive in a single day. The entire system, both backend database and storage and front end loading stations and kiosks run on Apple Macintosh computers which run Apple's VoiceOver screen reader permitting blind staff, volunteers and patrons to access the system.

In addition our library and all of it's holdings can be accessed by user through the internet at www.guidedogswa.org

Library BookDrive loading system
One of three BookDrive loading stations used by staff members. Each station is able to load four drives at a time. Loading averages 3-5 minutes per drive.

Library BookDrive loading system
Closeup of the BoorDrive loading station used by staff. Also shown is a BookDrive in the foreground.

In addition to the staff run loading stations we also have BookDrive Kiosks that the patrons can use to load their own book in our building here in Victoria Park. Below is some pictures and descriptions of the process which requires no interaction from the user other than to insert the BookDrive into the slot on the front of the kiosk itself.

BookDrive Kiosk
A self serve BookDrive loading kiosk. Library Parons can load their own books from these kiosks which run the same software as the staff BookDrive loading stations.

Closeup of the BookDrive kiosk
A close up of the BookDrive kiosk and a ABWA BookDrive USB flash drive.

Below are two pictures of the BookDrives (front and back) They were made for us by NorthStar System of Hong Kong and are branded with our name and logo.

ABWA BookDrive front
Front of an ABWA BookDrive USB flash drive media each drive can hold between 8-15 books depending on the length of each title.

ABWA BookDrive back
Back of an ABWA BookDrive USB flash drive media each drive can hold between 8-15 books depending on the length of each title.

BookDrive USB sleeve
In order to aid in connecting the BookDrive to the Plextor PTN1 and PTN2 players in common use in Australia ABWA develoed the BookDrive USB sleeve which can connect to any standard USB device or computer. More information on the sleeve can be found at http://www.guidedogswa.org/products/bookdrivesleeve/

Gregory Kearney | Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA
PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979 | 61 Kitchener Ave, Victoria Park WA 6100
Tel: 08 9311 8246 | Fax: 08 9361 8696 | www.guidedogswa.com.au
Tel: 307-224-4022 (North America)
Email: greg.kearney at guidedogswa.com.au
Email: gkearney at gmail.com