[Dtb-talk] A BookShare Book and DAISY Players

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 00:24:06 UTC 2011

Hello.

Is anyone on this list using a Book Port Plus and has a BookShare
membership? I'd be curious as to whether the BP+ can handle the following
BookShare book in DAISY format: Windows Power Shell Cookbook by Lee Homes. I
haven't tried this with Amis or FSReader on a PC but Internet Explorer on
the PC almost chokes on the XML file due to its complexity. Both the
BookSense and BrailleSense Plus are brought to their knees with this book
due to running out of memory. The Victor Reader Stream, on the other hand,
handles the book although it takes a glacial age to process before beginning
reading. I'm curious as to what happens when one tries to read this book
with the Book Port Plus.

I suspect that the reason the HIMS products can't handle the book is to the
relative primitiveness of memory allocation and paging under Windows CE. The
Stream, by contrast, runs a flavor of LINUX so I surmise can handle the
virtual memory required to deal with the complexity of this book.

T I A.

Mike Freeman