[Dtb-talk] digital player information

James Aldrich jajkaldrich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:00:50 UTC 2011

Hi Sarah,

One needs to consider two possibilities since the Plextalk Pocket and Book
Port Plus from APH utilize the same hardware product but have different
firmware.  The Book Port Plus uses a human voice for its menus where the
Plextalk pocket uses a TTS voice.  From here on out, these differences
affect both machines.  I'll compare with Victor Reader Stream.

One can use the provided AC adapter to charge the battery or the plextalk
can be charged through a USB port on a computer or one can use one of the
USB AC travel chargers in common use with many cell phones.

Passing content between an SD card to cartridge or thumb drive is a two way
street with the Plextalk.  One can only copy content from a cartridge to SD
card with the Stream but one can copy content from a cartridge or thumb
drive to SD card or from SD card back to thumb drive or cartridge.  This
doesn't require a PC.

The Plextalk Pocket has an excellent digital recorder where all settings are
accessible and are voiced!  One can set the recording volume manually or use
automatic volume control which is set by default.  One can also set the
quality of the recording.  All of this can be done thanks to the verbal
feedback.  One can hear how the level is set before recording!  The plextalk
has a memo recorder separate from the main digital recorder.  One can go
online and download podcasts with the plextalk where the stream doesn't have
this capability.  One also can hear some audio streams from radio stations.
One can connect this device to a cassette recorder and turn these into
digital recordings for the most part!  The Victor Reader Stream doesn't have
this capability.  All of this is a matter of what really is important to
you!  I understand the stream lasts longer between charges.  Faster reading
is smoother on the Stream than it is on the Plextalk pocket!  One might like
the larger size of the stream better than the plextalk which is smaller in
size.  I have the executive products cases for both machines.  Since I have
both the Stream and the Book Port Plus, I feel I have the best of all worlds
for the most part!  The TTS voice is the same with both machines, Samantha
and Tom.  The Book Sense has the best TTS voice for Book Share with Kate and
Paul voices.

This is not a complete comparison but it gives you a general idea of some of
the differences between the two machines.

Jim