[Dtb-talk] Failing Victor Reader Classic plus question

Dale Leavens dleavens at puc.net
Tue Mar 6 16:58:20 UTC 2012

Last night while listening to Far from the Madding Crowd, toward the end of chapter 3 Victor stuttered then after some internal clicking and such issued a disk error 2 I think it was and skipped on to Chapter 4.

I removed the CD, wiped it gently then reinstalled it and backed into Chapter 3 a few minutes and was able to finish it. Chapter 4 began then more internal thrashing and the disk was ejected. I tried several times to reinsert the disk, turned the machine off and on, gave the 3 fingered salute, (pressing Play, Eject and Power On simultaneously). Victor announced creating a new profile but inserting the cd, indeed any cd now and all Victor does is sit there several seconds, makes one internal slam, waits a moment longer and ejects the CD again. Does this with each and every CD I stick in.

This is the Classic Plus, I also have a Classic in a drawer which doesn't work and Humanwear tells me they no longer support. So far as I can tell all it needs is a physical repair of the power socket but that is another disappointment.

My question is, are there any other measures I can take to revive this machine? Is this built in obsolescence a means to keep me buying expensive machines from them?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dale Leavens.