[Dtb-talk] ID cards for the print disabled.

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:04:43 UTC 2013

Let me answer a few of these points.

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney
Association for the Blind of Western Australia

On 21/02/2013, at 10:54 PM, "Hyde, David W. (ESC)" <david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us> wrote:

> It could be useful. The caveats I would bring to the table are these.
>
> 1. We have always resisted the idea of carrying required identification as blind or otherwise disabled persons, although that in and of itself may not be a reason for resisting the idea. The danger arises when services are refused because of the absence of such a card, e.g. having to produce an identification number to receive assistance in working with inaccessible websites, forms and or assistance in places of public accommodation.

While this may well be an issue. Dyslexia face a rather unique issue of being unable to prove a disability even when they really need to.

> 2. The existence of a database with information on the country's disabled population could be subject to hacking which many would perceive as a risk to those whom society believes to be most vulnerable.

All such libraries for the blind and print disabled already maintain such databases so the cards are really not any more of an issue.

> 3. And finally, the requirement (and governments will require things) that people acquire such a card would only increase the resistance we find in those who are reticent to admit that they have a disability.

Unlike the NLS in the state we are not a government entity so this process is not originating from government. .