[Dtb-talk] FW: [List] Media Source

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Apr 17 05:29:33 UTC 2014

A member of the Canadian Federation of the Blind just posted information on
Hoopla, a service used by public libraries to loan audio books and films
(and presumably other media) to library patrons.  Although it's not a source
for specialized books produced specifically for blind people, I thought
those on this list might be intrigued with another source for audio books.
If I've inadvertently wandered outside the parameters for this list, my
sincere apologies.

Our member lists the portal for accessing Hoopla through his public library.
The Hoopla site itself includes an alphabetic listing of libraries
throughout North America that use the service.

Here's what our member said.

Hello Folks;

                I recently came across a source of free  media material
including such items as Movies, Music, Documentaries, TV Shows, and Audio
Books perhaps others know of this already but I thought it might be worth
mentioning.  The program / site is called "hoopla" and is set up in
conjunction with some regional public libraries.  Hoopla is offered in:
Greater Victoria Public Library, North Vancouver City Library, Richmond
Public Library, and Vancouver Island Public Library, with many others in
Alberta and Ontario as an example.

                Hoopla is set up for personal viewing and there is an app
for your OS Device.  Here is the Victoria Library, Hoopla, Q & A site

http://www.gvpl.ca/digital-content/ebooks-and-more/hoopla-faqs/

                All you need is your library card number, name, and you
setup a password.  I have listened to two Audio Books and one Movie so far.
Not all buttons are spoken using Voice Over.

Cheers