[DTB-Talk] books in alternate formats?

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 18:47:01 UTC 2019

Milton's answers are excellent.

learning Ally should be playable on  your Stream, but only with a key.
I actually don't know if this is still available because I haven't
used Learning Ally in so many years.  Audible on the Stream also
required a key back in the day. Again, don't know if that's still
available. In essence, you have to get the key (a small digital file)
and put it on your SD card and install it per instructions.

The thing is, most everything is moving to people's phones, though you
can still get some apps for a PC. As Milton suggested, Apple's iBooks,
Kindle, Audible, BARD and even Nook have apps.  Also, there is a
digital textbook store that guarantees accessible formats, Vital
Source. They have an iPhone app. I have no idea if they offer theology
titles, though.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It's the secret code that
Audible uses to keep you from sharing MP3 files, or Amazon uses to
lock down the Kindle formats.

EPUB is another accessible file format, like the DAISY format that
Bookshare uses. In fact, Bookshare will give you books in EPUB. If you
have a Victor Stream 2nd Gen, it will play EPUB, or if it's an old
stream with the SoftPack installed.

On an iPhone, The Voice Dream Reader, a paid app, is the most
versatile, playing Bookshare and EPUB, as well as Word and some PDF
formats.

And why isn't your seminary going to scan some of these books for you?
Seems like they ought to.

You might also look in some other repositories, like Gutenberg Project
or the Internet Archive. These wil not have new textbook titles, but
will have older textsof all kinds in formats you can use with Open
Book, the Stream of on an iPhone.

Best,
Dan

--
Dan Burke

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado Legislative Coordinator

President, NFB of Denver

"Blindness is not what holds you back.  You can live the life you want!"

My Cell:  406.546.8546
Twitter:  @DallDonal