[DTB-Talk] Bardmobile on Android: Web view getting stuck

Christopher Gilland clgilland07 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 02:21:48 UTC 2019

Using a Pixel 3 XL and Android 9.0 Pie, most recent build of BardMobile,
Talkback 7.3.

I'm finding that if I try browsing the Bard website through the internal
browser included within the app, Talkback is getting severely stuck if I
search for something via key word which has a lot of results. By stuck,
I more specifically mean it gets very unresponsive.

This isn't seeming to occur with other web views within Android,
generally speaking, which leads me to think it's probably something to
do with the actual webview used internally embedded within the
BardMobile app.

I know this has been an issue for quite some time, if you don't have
much on the screen within the app, you're fine, but as soon as you do,
good luck!

Here's a practical example which 100% consistently produces the problem.
Go to the most recently added section. That's literally all it takes.
Then, start either trying to flick through the page, or using touch
exploration. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it takes approximately
15 seconds after moving from one item to another for Talkback to catch
up, and read the currently focused item.

I've tried this on multiple different Android devices, so therefore can
confirm beyond a doubt that this is not Pixel 3 XL specific.

I don't experience this issue with iOS.

This is pretty much one of the very few reasons I refuse to switch
primarily to using Android. If it wasn't for this one thing along with a
few other minor things which would be totally OT for this list,
therefore I won't go into that here, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Any ideas what could be possibly causing this with the web views seeming
so broken within the app?

Chris.