[Electronics-talk] turning on SAP: some points to remember

Ray Foret jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 20:47:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

    Seems a lot of folks are confused here about how to turn on SAP.  Let me
see if I can help a little.  No, I can't tell you how to turn on your
verison SAP; but, perhaps I can explain a few things which might help you
determine for yourselves how it can be done.

1.  Analog SA.  Back in the days of analog stereo television, when the
signal was derived by combining the L+R-r at 2.25KHZ with the L+r-l at
2.25KHZ, the analog SAP was actually a sub carrier signal placed at
76.68KHZ.  All these signals rode on the primary carrier frequency of what
ever television station was broadcasting.  At first, it was just a simple
switch or button on the remote control.  Later, menus came in and with them,
the difficulty of switching on the SAP.  Panasonic was one of those
Television set makers who saw a need for blind people to be able to activate
SAP without going in to a menu  structure; so, they began building remote
controls which had a button featuring six dots on it.  Press this button,
and you turned on SAP.

2.  Digital cable muddied the water quite a bit.  With digital cable, if a
station was carrying SAP and you were on the digital side (that's channels
100 and above) you had to activate SAP via the menu structure of the box
itself.  Why, because now, the television was merely an output device
whereas the box was the tuner.  Usually, the SAP could be found as part of
the audio menu under the setup menu.  Mostly, that's where it still is.

3.  It sure doesn't help that how you activate SAP depends on where you are
in the channel spectrum.    IF you are watching any channel 2 through 99,
you activate SAP via what ever means your television itself has available to
you.  This is because the cable company just passes along what ever signal
they receive.  If there is SAP, you get SAP; but, if not, than no.  This,
however, is further complicated by the question of whether the cable company
is actually passing through the SAP for the cable channels.  For local
broadcast channels, the signal is just passed through; but, if a channel
like HBO is carried on a channel below 100, the cable company actually has
to actively pass through the SAP over a special head end unit; which, they
may or may not have.  Given the soon coming digital switch over, I rather
doubt that any cable company will be willing to invest the money for further
active SAP carriage on their systems.  There is one more annoying factor
concerning channels below 100.  Some boxes block SAP on these lower channels
and so no matter how hard you try, you just are not going to activate SAP;
even if the cable company itself is actively passing through the SAP
channel.  Comcast uses a Motorola DVR which is exactly like this.  Now, if
you are on any channel 100 or above, your chances of being able to activate
SAP are actually better.  Why?  Simple.  SAP is activated via the Language
menu which is under the audio menu which in turn is under the set up menu;
usually, that is.  This is because the audio is passed through without any
data stripping.  So, here's what you'd want to look for; provided, mind you,
that you are watching any channel above 100.

Setup menu
audio submenu
language menu
and sometimes, under this, language audio submenu beneath all this, is the
English/Spanish submenu.  To activate what we call the SAP, for DVS, you
usually want the Spanish selection.  In the case of TNT high definition, you
want the Spanish setting for Spanish, and for DVS, you want Korean.
HTH.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

"Old friend, what are you looking for?  After those many years abroad you
come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land"
George Seferis

Phone or Fax::
+1 (985) 360-3375
e-mail: