[Electronics-talk] turning on SAP

Christopher Chaltain cchaltain at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 8 01:01:26 UTC 2009

For my part, and this is only my opinion, I don't see close captioning
and described video as being analogous. I've watched and enjoyed plenty
of movies and television without described video. I've also watched
movies that had so much action, so many shots of scenery and so little
dialog that describing the video didn't really make the movie enjoyable
for me. Finally, I have heard excellent described video and not so
excellent described video. I've found the described video almost to be
an art form in and of itself. My worry, and this is only a minor worry,
would be what quality of described video would we get if it were
mandated and had to be mass produced.

I enjoy described video, and in general, all things being equal, I'll
watch the same movie or TV show with described video over watching it
without described video, but I'm not convinced at all that the advocacy
organizations of and for the blind should spend their resources having
described video legislated. I'm also of the opinion that having things
legislated costs more than just the effort to get the law passed. I
think in many cases there's a backlash effect against the organization
getting the legislation passed. For this reason, resorting to
legislation is not something that should be done casually.